Monday, July 30, 2012

Weekend explorations: Meatpacking district, NY

14th Street and 9th Avenue, New York: I wonder if Michelangelo would approve? 

("Celeb" sighting: Not long after I took this photo, veteran New York Times style photographer, Bill Cunningham, biked past...he is 83 and still fearlessly bikes NY streets, looking for his next shot! I was too starstruck to take a photo. Cunningham was the subject of a touching movie -- a portrait of an artist, a passing era, and unexpected beauty.)

6 comments:

LOLfromPasa said...

How fun, Lulu. The photograph in itself is brilliant, good story too and a video....Great! Like the link between the two.

cieldequimper said...

Lol, no one can ask him so let's have fun!

I bet it's hot though...

LONDONLULU said...

LOLfromPasa - aw, thank you so much! It was one of those glare-filled days, so I squinted and hoped for the best!

cieldequimper - I'm sure he's sweating through that extra layer in the hot summer sun! :)

Adele said...

How great that he is wearing this outfit! I wonder if this is the one he would have picked for himself. The video was great! I have to see the film now.

As an aside, I feel like David and I are great friends! Several of the local Forest Lawn Mortuaries had statues of him, and one that had been broken in an earthquake was given to the State College where I got my Master's. It was turned into an art installation, broken pieces and all, on one of the lawns. I have a beloved picture of myself sitting with him, in my cap and gown. :)

LONDONLULU said...

Adele - funny, now you've said that, I feel almost certain he might've picked the outfit out himself, if only for a fun laugh :) I love that back story about David, grad school memories leave such an impression and I bet it was a great photo!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I think he looks fabulous, horizontal stripes are so in dahling!! haha! OMG I would have been too starstruck as well, he's a bit of legend oui!